Saturday, June 1, 2013

Still a big sister

One of my biggest worries is that Mariah won't feel like a big sister because her baby sister is not here. She talks to Evangeline in her heart but does she actually feel proud to be a big sister like that? I never want her to feel cheated because she can't play with or boss around her baby sister.

 Today, a local organization, who supports families that have lost a baby, is hosting a yearly picnic for children who have lost a sibling. I am so grateful that we will be able to meet other families in our shoes, and Mariah will meet other kids who have brothers and sisters in their hearts, just like Evangeline is in her heart. It is going to be a great day to remember and honor our baby girl, while having fun with our big girl.

It is amazing to see so much support from the community. The event is free for families to attend and there will be an abundance of food, games, entertainment and arts and crafts. I was so excited to see a list of the activities and map out what we have to be sure to do. I can just tell that today will be a good day, even if a few tears come, because at least I will be surrounded by love and people who understand.

As much as I wish none of the families in attendance had a reason so be there, I am so thankful that our angel babies are remembered and our living children are given a day to just have fun while still remembering their sibling. I'm so grateful that other people still view Mariah as having a sister... because she IS a big sister, and a great one at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment