Saturday, March 8, 2014

She lights up my life

Today I attended a beautiful poetry gathering, to remember many dearly missed babies. At the front of the gathering there were 156 candles burning brightly to honor the short but precious lives of these special babies. A candle with Evangeline's name on it burned brightly nestled among the others.

At the end of the gathering it was announced that if one of the candles was for your child you could take it with you. I scooped up Evangeline's candle and held it close. Everyone else was blowing out their candles and taking them on their way, while I took hers back to my seat still burning.

I did not want to blow out the flame. The flicker from that candle meant far more to me than I had anticipated... Blowing out any ordinary candle is no big deal, but to me this flame was a special light brought into this earth because of my sweet daughter. Without Evangeline that candle would not have been lit. And so to extinguish that flicker, to blow out that flame was more difficult than I had imagined. So I sat there holding her candle, watching the flame burn brightly. Then, as a peace finally came over me, I was able to blow out the candle, knowing that it was not the only light that she has blessed us with, and that we will experience many more flickers of light because of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment